Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Huh?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Man, I am seriously disappointed. I know that some of that 70s & 80s stuff from back in the day was kinda messed-up now that we can look back on it. But Sesame Street was a staple of my youth. I had Big Bird clothes, Big Bird furniture (yup, a Big Bird Chair with my very own name on the back!), Big Bird birthday cakes - not to mention lots of other stuff with all of the other beloved characters. My mom would even tease me when I was a kid and call me Oscar the Grouch if I was in a bad mood.


However, according to this article, Sesame Street "may not suit the needs of today’s preschool child". This seriously pisses me off. The article goes on to say that "The masonry on the dingy brownstone at 123 Sesame Street, where the closeted Ernie and Bert shared a dismal basement apartment, was deteriorating. Cookie Monster was on a fast track to diabetes. Oscar’s depression was untreated..."

I am not going to go on and quote the entire article, but enough is enough. I know our world has changed and there are more reasons to be health-conscious, politically correct, etc. but the key is that our future generations are going to turn into over-sensitive, over-caudled, whiny assholes who can't effectively use the power of their own brains if we don't stop over-analyzing and freaking out stuff like this!

Rather than just rule out everything, I think there is more responsibility for parents to actually watch TV with their children once in awhile, and discuss what they're seeing. If Cookie Monster is eating an assload of cookies, just talk to the kid about the ridiculousness of eating that many cookies, the reasons why we shouldn't, etc. I think that parents need to be aware of what their kids are watching anyway, so that kinda kills to birds with one stone, doesn't it?

ANYWAY - I loved Sesame Street and this article pissed me off!

5 comments:

Lars Quest said...

I'm going to be very careful here because I don't have kids and I do not know how difficult it is to raise these little guys... however, if more kids watched Sesame Street instead of some of the ADD crap that passes for kids programming these days, life would be a better place. I mean come on look at how centered we all turned out to be... well, maybe that's a bad example. Check ya later, I'm gonna go blog about how bad MTV is now.

Banasky Dodson said...

I don't have kids either. But if I did, and as a parent, I would say that if my kids thought because a blue furry monster told them to eat lots of cookies, I'd probably be ok about it. Because once the kids ate the assload of cookies, they'll get stomach aches and won't eat lots of cookies.

If you can't watch Sesame Street, what can you watch? Hannah Montana? I don't think so.

...kristen... said...

totally, 100%, whole heartedly agree with you homy!

who the hell analyzes effing puppets this much anyway?! THEY'RE PUPPETS!

Joni Marie Newman said...

yeah. puppets! sesame street is rad. i still watch it sometimes. and cookie monster promotes brocolli now anyways. so i agree with you carrie. people are way overthinking it. kids need to be kids. they should play until they can't play no more. even if that means breaking a bone or two. oscar's depression? please.

Jennifer Shrier said...

Preach on preach on! I agree with all you mo' fo's!