Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Judy Fiskin

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
http://www.judyfiskin.com

Last weekend Ed & I took a fun little unexpected trip to the Orange County Museum of Art. It's a really cool place! Very small, very modern, and very surprising! They feature artwork from California artists exclusively and they even sell oranges and cute bottle of orange crush soda, paying homage to their location. We both were impressed.

Anyway, in their collection they had 4 pieces by Judy Fiskin, a photographer who is best known for her series called "Dingbats". They were tiny, exquisite little photographs of anonymous 1950s apartment buildings in Los Angeles that were shot from across the street in a deadpan style. I wish I could find a good picture of the pictures, but I loved them. Those apartment buildings in LA had funky little elements in their architecture that looked like dingbats...stars, astericks, etc. Anyway, I wanna learn more about her, because I love to obsess over photos. I thought the above picture was neat - it is on the front page of her website and it's a self-portrait (see her shadow to the side?)

1 comment:

Danna said...

I didn't even know there was an Orange County Museum of Art...and I was raised there! Where is it?