Sunday, November 4, 2007

Down with B-Town


This weekend was spent in Bakersfield (or as we prefer to say, B-Town) for Laura's Baby Shower! There was no way I could miss this, and Ed & I were waaaay overdue for a B-Town weekend with Laura & Eric. We left Saturday morning and went straight to the baby shower.


Laura looked great! She's only got a few more weeks to go, and it's very exciting. I made her a diaper cake with 96 bonafide stage 2 diapers. I think she liked it. :) However, she did educate me on how moms can go green with biodegradable, non-chlorine diapers. They are pretty neat-o and I think Laura is a real hip mom-to-be.


It was cool to see all the B-Town peeps too - they always make me feel real special 'cause they are so cool, they always remember me and they always make me feel like an honorary B-Town crew member. Such good people!

Afterwards, we had to get right back to the house - 'cause it was time to rock. Yup, Guitar Hero III went on tour to Bak-o this weekend, and everybody gave stellar performances.

Eric rocks.

Cathy rocks.

Even the pregnant lady rocked. :)

After working up an appetite, we had to get on to a B-Town main attraction: a good, hearty Basque dinner. You can't go to Bak-o and not go get Basque food. Don't know about the Basque food, do ya? Don't feel bad - 'cause I had never heard about it before visiting Bakersfield. It's a real big deal ( learn about Basque food here ). Please also notice that Bakersfield, California is given proper mention under "international Basque cuisine," too. Niiice.


We went to Chalet this time, and it didn't disappoint. A nice old-school vibe, no wait, and some real kitschy art that I could definitely get into.



Probably the weirdest thing about Basque food however is that the "set up" (the courses you are served before your main meal) contain pickled tongue - and even weirder, everybody loves it! I know I'm being real prissy here, but I just can't do the pickled tongue. However, it did provide great photo ops for a tongue series though!





Appetizing, eh?

We had a blast with the Basque, but there's more - we HAD to hit up another B-Town classic:

A trip to Bakersfield is NOT complete without a Sonic Strawberry Limeade!

The drive-in stalls look straight outta Dazed and Confused to me. Love it.

Another reason we had to stop by was because we had to have an opportunity to cruise Bak-o in Eric's new truck with the blingin' rims!


We covered a lot of ground in 24 hours. The only thing we missed was Smith's for some happy face cookies*, but Laura was on it though and secured some delicious (and infamous) Thumbprint cookies to send us home with.

*this pic was taken on a previous Bak-o tour.

There's always next time though, and we'll definitely be goin' back soon. We can't wait to meet the new B-Town crew member, baby Brooklynn!

See the all the pics here:
Bakersfield Weekend



p.s. Check out thosecoolkims to see where we stopped on the way home from B-Town. Very smart!

2 comments:

...kristen... said...

dude! we were in tehachapi this weekend and hit up sonic burger there! hahaha...guess that's why we're homies for life.

Joni Marie Newman said...

how exciting for laura! sonic has a frito burrito. whoa.