Monday, September 10, 2007

My poor kitty!















My Ricki the Rockin' Kitty is in surgery right now!

For those of you that may not know, Ricki tore the ligament in her right knee (yup, cats have knees!) last October, just two days after Ed & I got home from our honeymoon. It was pretty crazy, we had no idea how she did it - her doctor says that an injury like that does not happen from impact, more from quick movements. If I had to guess, she probably did it while racing upstairs to her favorite destination: the food & water bowls. At any rate, Dr. Toledo (the best doctor in the world!) says it's a very rare injury for a cat to get, this kind of thing usually only happens to dogs. So she had surgery on her knee, got a brand-new artificial joint, endured quite a bit of pain & suffering, but pulled through and returned to her rockin' self.

Well, flash forward to yesterday, when she was just lying around and not moving a whole lot. We didn't realize what was wrong until bedtime. As she came into the room, we noticed a familiar limp...she was limping just like she was last time before her surgery...

Ed took a mental health day today to go surfing in San Onofre, so he had the morning free to take Ricki in to see Dr. T. It turns out she has the exact same injury - but in THE OTHER LEG!!! Dr. Toledo says he's NEVER seen this happen to a cat in the whole time he's been practicing veterinary medicine. What are the chances??? I am just so sad because getting through the whole thing was rough last time around, it's so hard to watch an animal in pain and not knowing how to help. She was sedated a lot and had to wear a cone around her neck so she didn't mess with the incision. I know she's going to be okay, and that's the important thing, but I am so sad. She spends the night at the vet tonight, and I will hopefully be able to pick her up after work tomorrow.

Thanks for listening, friends. This hasn't been such a great year for kitty-cats in our household. :( Send good kitty vibes to my Ricki-Lou!

3 comments:

n/a said...

I'm sending rockin' kitty good thoughts and love right now!
I'm so sorry she (and you and ed) have to endure this again.
xo

Banasky Dodson said...

Charles Bronson wants Ricky to know that surgery is tough and scary but when you have an awesome owner named Carrie you'll be able to pull through it, just like he did in May.

Seriously, I feel your pain, it is a horrible feeling, but I know that Ricky is going to pull through just fine.

Jennifer Shrier said...

Aw. Poor kitty. Sushi had this happen to her knee a few years back. But not both knees! Leave it to your pets to be unique. ;) I'm sending good joo joo Ricky's way. With a name like Dr. Toledo she's gotta be in great hands! Sushi's last vest was named Dr. Martini.