Wednesday, April 18, 2007

See ya, Buena Park!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Pardon the cheesy pic, but it's basically how I felt after finding out that I FINALLY GOT A NEW JOB! Say hello to someone who now officially works in the graphic design industry. :)

The story begins Wednesday evening, 11:45pm. I check my email and have a message from Carrie B. who refers me to HOWMagazine's website where they have a creative job bank. Duh, why didn't I think of that? I see a listing for a Production Artist/Jr. Designer at a small firm in Brea. I'm all over it. I send off resume 485632179 along with my new snazzy .pdf portfolio, cross my fingers and hope for the best. It's approximately 12 midnight.

Thursday evening, I'm in class and my phone is turned off. After leaving at about 10pm, I turn it back on and receive a voicemail from the firm. They're interested in meeting with me. Score. (Guess the .pdf portfolio worked?)

Friday morning, I grab the big portfolio, wear a respectable (yet somewhat "funky" so I don't look like a complete nerd) outfit and call the man back! He is very pleasant over the phone, very friendly and enthusiastic, and says "Wow - I thought I was up late, posting a job opportunity online around 11:30pm, but then 15 minutes later, I get your information! What was it about us that made you apply so late at night?" Ha. He asks if we can meet, I say absolutely - I suggest that afternoon.

Friday afternoon, 3pm. I walk into the tiny office and immediately see shiny Macintosh computers and Shag postcards all over the wall! I can't hide my delight - looking at Shag all day while working sounds just fine to me! I meet with the two partners, who are the most laid-back and unpretentious people I've ever met in this biz - they were down to earth, not intimidating, and very inspiring. I was getting such a great buzz off of their positive energy. The interview turned into open conversation, and I felt very comfortable with them. We talked about our mutual love for House Industries (my fave fave fave typehouse ever - this firm uses a House font for their logo, it's meant to be!!!) and I'm having a great time. They look at EVERYTHING in my portfolio - so cool, because sometimes you don't get a chance to show them everything - and they like it. I even get to see THEIR portfolio and am instantly relived that they have a clean, modern approach in their work too, and a slight aversion to fonts with serifs. I start to get REALLY psyched. Finally, we wrap things up, and I say goodbye. Obviously I was the first person they spoke to because I had applied like, 15 min. after they posted the job, but they said we'd be in touch. I go home and write a thank you note (via email).

Saturday afternoon, 2:30pm. Ed & I are on our way to LA to meet up with Jason & Crystal + Baby Bea, and I get a phone call. "We had such a great time talking with you and we were going to wait to talk to other people, but we decided we must've gotten it right the first time. We'd love for you to join us..." YES! He admits that yes, they were looking for someone with just a little more experience, but they have full confidence in my potential. Hello - confidence booster. He lets me know what my starting salary will be (a raise from the current job!) and that I get full benefits (not bad for a 3 person company!) and I say I'll give notice first thing Monday!

So now it begins. Frantically scrambling to try and explain everything I've been doing here (by myself practically) for the last 4 years. I feel good though. Most importantly, I feel happy again - and inspired. I'm ready to work hard and kick some ass. New job starts Monday 4/30!

3 comments:

n/a said...

ok i got the chills reading your post!
great work carrie! so happy for you. :)
x- to the -o !

Joni Marie Newman said...

CONGRATS! all your hard work is paying off. i wanna see your .pdf portfolio. you should email it to me :)

...kristen... said...

3 CHEERS FOR HOMY C!! I'm so happy to hear your happy, inspired, and an official graphic designer! Weeeeeeeee...