To end off the month, we watched "The 100 Scariest Movie Moments of All Time" this week. It was a 4-part series that aired on Bravo in 2004, and it totally kicks ass (If you wanna check it out, view the list of 100 here). It was after watching this series that I told myself I needed to just get over it, be brave, and see some of these films! Afterall, its a major part of pop culture that I'm missing out on, right?

One of the movies that intrigued me on the countdown was an Italian film called Suspiria. It was made in the 70s by Dario Argento, who apparently was a MAJOR force in defining the style of the italian horror movie classics and slasher films. Somebody on the Bravo countdown said, "Argento puts the GORE in GORGEOUS". This film was so AWESOME!!!
I can honestly say I've never seen anything like it before. It had style, it was artful - but yet it was really scary, too! I mean, it was the perfect kind of scary for me to deal with, because it was suspenseful and creepy, but it was so old that it seemed too campy to be something to really stay scared over. Honestly, the way it looks sometimes, it could pass as a Prada print ad - its so stylish & sophisticated. But there's also some pretty funny stuff too, like day-glo blood and realy cheesy effects. It was cool - the soundtrack is probably the creepiest and weirdest of all - and now, Ed & I totally wanna see more of these kinds of films.
Here's the weird 70s trailer:
One thing is for certain though – the 70s produced a lot of scary movies. Weird scary movies. The 70s were sick!

1 comment:
i can't really deal with scary movies either...i mean, nightmare on elm street caused a 5 year "sleep in joni's bed" spree for me when i was younger! now that i'm older, i find it easier watching them in the daytime. night time, forget it!! i won't sleep all night!
Post a Comment