Ed & I decided Friday night was a good night to go to the fair. I hadn't been in years, and it sounded kinda fun! We cruised over after work and hung out for a few hours.
Okay, so I know that "fair food" is really somethin', but they've taken it to a whole new level since I've been there. There is deep-fried EVERYTHING. I know that they had that tons of fried-y fried-ness all along - but dang! It was out of control. Here is a list of all of the fried foods I can recall:
1. Deep-Fried zucchini
2. Deep-Fried mushrooms
3. Deep-Fried artichoke hearts
4. Deep-Fried eggplant
5. Deep-Fried avocados
6. Deep-Fried bananas with peanut butter & honey
7. Deep-Fried snickers bars
8. Deep-Fried twinkies
9. Deep-Fried cheesecake
10. Deep-Fried bell peppers stuffed with cheese
11. Deep-Fried onion rings
12. Deep-Fried cheese
13. Deep-Fried shrimp
14. Deep-Fried clams
15. Deep-Fried fish
16. Deep-Fried french fries
17. Deep-Fried chicken
18. Deep-Fried australian battered potatoes
Of course, when you get there, you're like - yeah! Bring it on! But then all the signs start to overwhelm you and you just feel truly sickened by it all. I'm not gonna lie, we did indulge in a Deep-Fried combination plate of artichoke hearts, mushrooms and zucchini, but after that, we knew we had to save room for two of my fair favorites: corn on the cob and ice cream!
After all of the food fun was over, we cruised through the "Carnival of Products" where they are selling anything from beef jerky to backyard spas. We looked at kitchen gadgets, got our rings cleaned and even passed by this very high-tech booth:
The Personality Analysis Machine. It just takes a moment. But it looked a little too high-tech for us, so we went on.
There were also very amazing pieces of art in one of the exhibition halls. The photography in particular was really astounding. I couldn't believe it actually. There were a few photos I totally would've bought. I was happy to be so pleasantly surprised!
Next, we really wanted to go on the big super-slide. I'm proud to report that I did it - in a skirt! (without flashing anyone) - and I won the race! There was a very enthusiastic spectator at the end who complemented me on my super-slide racing pizazz.
In all it's glory, the Euro Slide:
No more carnival rides for us really, we almost went on the ferris wheel, but those carnival rides cost like one trillion dollars!
Finally, we went to look at all the gardens, fruit and veggies and livestock. It was fun to see the categories...things like "Most Unusually Shaped Vegetable" and "Biggest Cucumber". We saw such cute sheep, chicks, and a whole litter of sleeping piglets! So cute!
That was our trip to the fair...oh, I really liked all of these stuffed monkeys too. I almost wanted Ed to try and win me one, but I remembered that I'm a minimalist.

4 comments:
I love the fair! It's kind of been a tradition in my family to go once a year. I must say, last year I tried the fried avocado. and unfortunately it was a let down. But you have to keep me away from the corn. Last year I think my uncle and I had 5 a piece throughout the day! Love that damn corn man! Good idea going at night. I was thinking we weren't going to be able to make it this year since we are booked up every Saturday in August. But going at night it isn't so hot as it is on the weekend! Good idea! Glad you guys went.
I miss the fair! It's been a few years since I've been. I love to watch the ultra cheezy adult contemporary bands perform next to the pig races!
mmmm....deep fried artichokes!
that corn sure does look good! now i have to wait till' next year!
I can't believe you passed up deep fried twinkies! You two always seem to have so much fun together. You're like a marketing team for marriage.
Post a Comment