So I woke up this morning, grabbed my external hard drive and put it in my purse, and made a vow to myself all the way to work that I would update my resume and start sending that sucker out. I just had a few things to update and it was good to go - I was ready to hit craigslist.
My boss even called once I got to the office, saying she would be in a little late. Perfect. I booted up the machine and got right down to business. Much to my surprise, there was an interesting ad listed under the title "Creative Partner". Sounded good to me. I opened it up, read on, and liked what I saw. Basically, this was a small firm looking to get some help in the office - copywriting, proofing, coordinating with clients - and possibly participate in the design process. They do the whole she-bang...video editing/production, web design, print design, event planning/coordination. I sent a response right away with my resume and withing an hour they asked if I could come in to meet with them - today. My boss was only working a half-day so I said hell yeah - we were all set for 3pm.
I got down there and was met by a really nice and incredibly down-to-earth dude. He was way cool, super friendly, and immediately, I had no nervousness at all. We talked quite a bit and I was getting the feeling like he was pretty down. He told me that he'd like to call the (Russian dude) Creative Director in to take a look at my resume. This guy was so freaking cool. Super thick accent, hilarious. He looked through my book and he liked what he saw! I got some really good feedback. However, he told me that I was very talented, but in the end he was thinking I didn't have enough experience. You'd think I would be pretty bummed about that verdict, but it wasn't a bad thing. He was hooking me up, telling me stuff about the biz, showing me what they do and giving me a ton of praise and a lot of great advice. But it was so encouraging and so inspiring that I wasn't upset or hurt in the least I could just tell that I was supposed to meet these peeps for a reason. You could feel the buzz 'cause these people clearly have a passion for what they do - and that's what kind of environment I've been wanting to work in for a really long time. Finally, the Russian dude's phone rang and he had to take the call, but he says to me in his super thick Russian accent, "One year, and you will be exploding!!!" Ha.
So the other dude says that he'd like me to come back on Monday. He said that he thinks I should talk to the other partner in the company because I have a lot to bring to the table. I was stoked. He even said that with the right person, the job is open-ended. Perhaps I would start with other responsibilities, and as I grow, I could have the chance to move laterally into the print end of things. So I'm goin' back on Monday and I'm reaaaaally hoping I get this job. I just wanna work with creative, passionate individuals! Anything I do there I know I would learn. Oh, and I can also see myself spinning around on a hilltop singing the sound of music if I got out of my current job too.
Keep your fingers crossed for me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
wow! congrats dudette! you are a "radical dudette"...that was the name of my softball team in jr. high.
we were awesome and so are you!
my fingers are crossed thu out the weekend.
xo
fingers are crossing right at this very moment, and will remained crossed until we hear from you.
whoa! instant interview...so cool! i'm sending out the positive vibes for you today...
Post a Comment