Wednesday, December 6, 2006

The Kim Family

Ever since hearing the news about the Kim Family who was lost in the mountains enroute from Oregon to San Francisco and survived in their car since November 25th, I have not been able to stop thinking of them. Call me narcissistic - maybe its because I'm now one of the 1 billion Kims, maybe it's because they were a Korean Guy/White Girl couple like us, maybe because James had style like Ed, or maybe because I'm the same age as Kati. At any rate, MY Kim Family has been deeply affected by this story and we are so saddened to now hear the news that James Kim has not survived.

For those of you who do not know their story, they are a beautiful family. James & Kati had 2 daughters, one 4 years, the other 7 months. The Kims had driven from San Francisco to Seattle for Thanksgiving and were on their way home. They planned to spend the night of Nov. 25 at a luxury lodge outside Gold Beach on the coast. They missed the exit for the highway and ended up getting lost and stuck on a mountain road. They huddled together for warmth, kept the car running at night until they ran out of gas, after that they burned their tires in order to to stay warm. Kati nursed both of their girls to keep them nourished. After 8 days, James decided to go by foot and look for help for the family. He thought there was nearby town just 4 miles away - but it turned out to actually be closer to 15 miles away. Just one day after James left, Kati & the girls were found. James wasn't found until today, and now he's gone.

I feel so affected by this story of a family I don't even know. I feel so helpless, so I guess all I can do is send my warm wishes and heartfelt support through this little internet hole I have here. I wish nothing but peace for The Kim Family. I am so sorry for their tragic loss.

This James & his Daughters:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This is James & Kati.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting